Sign in to follow this  
cloud city trooper

Do you use Minidisc?

If so, please visit my forums. It runs on the same format as this one, without the bugs, and with a newer version of phpbb + security patches that this one doesn't have! Raynor, do you even have phpmyadmin? Good stuff.

user posted image

http://forums.minidisc.org

p.s. Minidisc, FOR those OF you who don't know, is a portable music format that is very popular in just about every other country except the US. I'd love TO explain MORE about it, but I'll leave any inquries/questions for you to ask at my place! Check it out.

Circle, I would love to discuss the advantages of the Minidisc format with you at the aforementioned forums.

Anyway, I won't be dishonest, the member listing IS accurate, but the NUMBER OF active members IS much less compared TO the total members, ONLY due TO the forums were completely unorganized up until about two/three weeks ago [it was standard PHPBB WHEN I joined, AND obviously much MORE than that now]. The amount OF new members has increased tenfold since I started admining, AND it's becoming quite the place for related discussion.

The host site, minidisc.org, is the world's largest Minidisc site IN the world.

Who said they weren't popular IN the US? Atleast 7 out OF 10 OF ppl I know bought/use the MD player.

Wow, surprised so many of you actually use it. Did you guys hear about the new one gigabyte Minidisc that's coming this summer? It's one hell of a time for MD. :dance:

Seriously, I want all of you who use it to sign up at the place!

p.s. Isn't MD + Continuum = bliss? :bye:

I only use PC to play subspace and listen music, mac is so much better if you need to build websites, edit videoclips and sound and lots of other things. MacOs 10 $

you got me there ray, but i like pc's better b/c they're easy to build and fix, with much easier access to parts and software. mac's ARE okay, but i haven't had problems editing audio or video yet on a PC.

microsoft corporate domination 4 lyfe

Not to be a buzzkill, but why the hell are you talking about Windows vs. open source OS's IN a Minidisc thread? Seriously, this IS why I LEFT this place, NO one can keep anything ON topic FOR MORE than two OR three posts before it turns INTO SOME inane b.s.

:clap:

Well to keep on topic, why should i get one of these instead a Ipod? i know price, but im sure there is more to it than that. Also a reason I like the player that one of my friend had was that it was small and easy to use. I liked it. But Ipod is a lot more flashy and can store other stuff on it besides music. Oh and anyone know where i can get the 15gig Ipod cheap? If I don't GET that i'll proably go the dell route. Got a extra discount thanks to a friend that works there. :clap: So would be like 35% off total so thats like 170 or so.

CCT Ive always treathed you with respect, dunno why you hate me this much. We arent talking about bs, it was just a small msg about something else. Forum rules are no topicchanges, new topics could be made, if the topic starter thinks that his topic goes offtopic someone should do something. So lets get back ontopic and prove CCT wrong. :fork:

minidisc is nice because it's so cheap, the discs ARE infinitely rewriteable, AND the minidiscs feel AND look important tongue.gif plus minidisc is a nice size, and the battery life is ridiculously good, although i don't know what battery life is like on iPod. honestly i think price is the single greatest reason to get a minidisc player over an iPod. but i would definitely go Dell over iPod if you don't have quite enough cash for an iPod.

SORRY FOR GOING OFF TOPIC sad.gif (mac sucks)

Ya, I got a MD player, i use it everyday. its ez to get music onto and holds like 80 songs on 1 mini disc, (or even more)

if u want just music, get a MD player cuz its alot cheeper

I thought that minidisc was dead technology, thought it went the way of the DAT :eh:

I never see it in stores or anything, The concept was cool when it first came out but was too pricey for me then. I think the MP3 players now prolly own it hard. I mean gig+ mp3 players, why bother with minidisc? I'm old though lol, wtf do I know.

Thanks guys for getting back on topic, and Raynor, I don't know about the respect thing..

Anyway, old Minidisc technology has a few merits over the iPod/iRiver/Karma AND ALL those other HDD players. Something IS anew, though..IN a MONTH OR two Sony IS going TO release the one gigabyte Minidisc, dubbed "Hi-MD". These discs will ONLY cost $7 each, AND will be able TO hold DATA AND music, WITH USB uploading AS well [those OF you who use MD now understand the importance OF uploading]. It's a very exciting time for Minidisc.. :dance:

So far, only Sony has released Hi-MD units, but Sharp and the other big names will later on in the year.

Here's SOME OF the Sony units:

http://minidisc.org/part_Hi-MD_Sony.html

p.s. LIKE I said before, I would love TO discuss the advantages OF the existing MD format AND the new Hi-MD format AT the forums. You'll be surprised..like this: certain Minidisc units, even though they have lower output, have much more detailed sound than any hard-drive/flash player on the market. :bye:

MDs are great for portable high quality recording anywhere and any time... not something most people need, but it comes in handy.

Trivial Knowledge: You can plug your headphones into the input jack and actually record from them. Yes, it actually works, but anything recorded will have terrible quality, not to mention it will be extremely quiet.

I actually went to the forums...couldn't find a thread TO READ about why i should buy a MD player instead OF a IPOD OR the dell deal. Lots OF technical stuff which i really had NO intrest IN since i don't own one yet. One thing though that caught my intrest was the recording live shows. That might be worth it. Live in Austin live music capital of the world so I do go to shows a lot. Also how much for the new Hi-MD players. I saw prices of $250. With that kind of cash i rather just get a IPOD. Shrug....link me and I'll READ the thread...if NOT GET INTO MORE detail.

To be honest I like the MD, also like the Ipod and the sony version (looks better). But to goto a forum is kinda a waste of time, I know most ppl here else I wouldnt visit it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this