Sign in to follow this  
myndzi

Milking

This is somewhat of a tangent from my other post. Hopefully posting the two things separately will make less people hate me for writing complete posts. Ha.

Anyway, I firmly believe that milking is bad. And similarly, center games are too. They have no real way of ending satisfactorily for anyone; if the teams are even it's simply trading flags back and forth, which isn't much fun, and if they are uneven it's even less fun. And then whoever wins will be the subject of frustration and anger from the other frequency.

More closely related to my other post, there is a more subtle reason milking is bad. While ostensibly allowing players to keep a flag game going longer, it has given rise to the insidious belief that players owe it to you to give you a shot at the flags. It has shifted the mentality so that a team with 15 flags is the game, as opposed to the end of it. Once upon a time, a team with all 15 flags mobile was seen as the inevitable winner, and thus the focus was not to try and take [all] the flags from the other frequency, it was to keep the other frequency from getting them all.

This is one of those things that I say we need to change about the attitude of players in SWZ. I think that once people stop expecting you to give them a shot at the flags once you have them all, there will be less anger when a game ends, and therefore more people conducive to sticking around for the next game.

And this is why I believe we should avoid milking at all times.

-splice

I don't quite agree with all of that. I agree that we should definitely try to keep the opposing teams from getting flags to begin with, by scavaging, and having a balance of attacking and defending players. But I think that milking is good for a game. It just gives the opposition a few more minutes/hours to SC for thors, or to keep trying to lag/rocket through the enemy defense. It also gives the opportunity for new players to enter the zone, and jump onto the losing freq (assuming the losing freq *usually* has fewer players) and give their effort at getting the flags.

I like milk. Milk = points, points = people want to flag more. People want to flag more = more people, more people = more flagging, more flagging = more MILK. Right? ph34r.gif

This is my humble opinion.

I could summarize mine by Milk = people leave after flagging, people leave after flagging = population gets reset, population gets reset = start all over again. tongue.gif

The big games will come when the people do.

Hindsigh,

Most of the people dont come to flag for points. We come to play with friends/squad and maybe gain more respect for the squad by winning/owning.

ofcourse thats not possible right now with publics tho =)

And on the other topics you and max have started about prizing people for most flagtime, top ten scores etc...that wont help the zone population atm.

And i agree with Splice, thoose center milking games sucks.

Was fun to milk back in the day, but its not the same thing anyway....then we nueted the flags in flagroom and defended.

-SoM

Center milking flag games do suck. Neuting in bases and defending is much better than milking, but we don't have a choice right now do we? And if prizing high scorers and what not won't help the zone right now (which I believe it will), when what will?

I come to flag with friends/squaddies but I come to flag for points also, because flagging for points is a challenge, and because I want my squad to be #1 every reset. Dominance/ownage came from winning big flag games and getting a rep for good flaggers/centerers. Points are typically a reflection of a good flagging squad.

I know things will probably never be as they were in the good 'ol days, but if we can make the right adjustments, we can adapt to the new era of players, and bring back some sort of honor and fun in flagging. I'm just trying to give my two cents.

*Points are typically a reflection of a good flagging squad.

Not theese days, now it just shows what squad that play most =p

I dont mean to com eoff like that Hindisght. I'm just saying that in the past few months nothing really matters in SWZ other then your rec. I like what spindle is doing by just flagging as much as possible. I also love the idea brought up by splice with the being on with the [F] tag on for your name. I just want to see an average of 60 or so people. I know it a lot to ask for, but I think we can do it. It just takes work. So here are a few ideas that umma and I do in game.

-Freq hop

I say this becasue you have to. With what I said before freq hopping will keep teams even, and players happy. Nobody likes to flag 7 vs 10, so get prepared to lose points due to not being on the winning freq.

-Help the new guys

Today umma and I helped out a certain player with some dueling skills, and ship hints. We have to be nice in order to keep players happy.

-Stop center flagging

If you end up with 15 flags running around center NEUT. That way the game doesnt revolve just around the one flag carrier. Make it a team effort, it will make the new guys feel like their doing something worthwhile for us older guys.

Thats just a few ideas, hopefully we can use them. I'm going to start using my tag now smile.gif.

-espee

One of the tendencies these days is for people to just fly around center and try to kill all the reds. It used to be that people would head straight to base to [neut] the flags. I think part of this is the flag timer being so long, noone wants to sit around just to drop. In many cases, there aren't enough people to be able to defend a base long enough for all the flaggers to drop, so the flags NEED to be consolidated.

I have asked miew (and he agreed) to run a trial of some settings changes when we start doing our thing. PL seems to be absent and I'm not sure what is going on, but in lieu of him saying "Go!" I say we just start playing anyway. He *did* say the 10th, and nothing has been posted to alter that. So, it's on.. right?

I'll talk to miew when I can, we will have neuts in base and a lower timer. Let's make sure we get the kinda games we should be having out of that.

Also I'm going to start wearing a Force tag when I get down to flagging. I encourage you guys to do the same. Additionally I don't see anyone on our chat... "theforce" is it if you don't already know. Let's roll!

Agreed SP and splice. What's gonna be the "official" Force tag? Splice, you call it, and we'll make that the official one. It's not like it actually matters what it is, as long as it says force. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

QUOTE (myndzi @ Oct 10 2004, 02:09 AM)
More closely related to my other post, there is a more subtle reason milking is bad. While ostensibly allowing players to keep a flag game going longer, it has given rise to the insidious belief that players owe it to you to give you a shot at the flags. It has shifted the mentality so that a team with 15 flags is the game, as opposed to the end of it. Once upon a time, a team with all 15 flags mobile was seen as the inevitable winner, and thus the focus was not to try and take [all] the flags from the other frequency, it was to keep the other frequency from getting them all.

Ah, splice, that was sweet to read.

On the other hand, I don't think we should avoid milking at all times. Personally, I believe that we should milk when we want more points and are willing to take the risk of losing the flags - when the teams are evenly matched. It's not a good idea to milk when the winning team is so much stronger than the other team that they'll give up and leave, tho. Milking is a judgement call. Be careful not to do it for the wrong reasons.

About my absence: I just got a new job last Thursday. I was also n/a most of this weekend because of unforseen circumstances. My schoolwork has been neglected too, unfortunately. I'm sorry to have left you all hanging.

Splice is right, it's time to start. I'm going to post the official, final draft of the instructions now. The tags to be worn are indeed splice's call. The purpose of them is such that it's important we all wear the same tag (hindsight tongue.gif).

-PL

QUOTE (Pharaoh's Legacy @ Oct 12 2004, 06:10 AM)
About my absence: I just got a new job last Thursday. I was also n/a most of this weekend because of unforseen circumstances. My schoolwork has been neglected too, unfortunately. I'm sorry to have left you all hanging.

Woot, McDonalds finally called! tongue.gif

And yes, I will wear the official tag.

Sign in to follow this