Sign in to follow this  
JAD

Map Idea(s)

It's about time we started planning/devloping a new map for the zone. I've got a few ideas and even some rough layouts that I will be uploading to my arenas when time permits, (late this evening est). I want to experiment with another "planet map".

My idea is to have several different sized planets say 5-7 of various sizes the largest being roughly 2/3rds the size of the "4 planet map" and decreasing in size from there. the map would not be full sized as our current population simply would not allow for it. Say 1-3 bases per planet depending on size.

A center design similar to the shape in ?go mini. Debating on enclosing the center with doors like the G2 era map. Mini bases in center?

Hav'nt thought much about soccer goals as it depends largely on the layout. Ideas?

I need to know if anyone is currently working on a map for pub and who is in charge of deciding things nowadays?

/JAD

If we can get someone to program a bot, I'd love to see us take advantage of things like doors enlosing centre durign low population, and possibly a warpbot that warps you to the different planets.

Maybe something like that Hyperspace arena, that was divided into like 8 sections, each one having a warpgate, and players just had to type in a command to the bot specifying which section to warp to. That would work pretty well with multiple planets, greatly reducing annoying flying time, and making scouting easier.

Here's an idea for soccer goals. Seeing how scoring goals in swz provides minimal points, and has always been rather useless, what if we prize an entire freq certain items for scoring goals? Maybe something like 50 bty, or fully upgraded ships? Something to give some incentive to score, and adding a whole new dynamic to the game. Having a person or two focus on pballing to provide the rest of the freq with flagging toys. Could be pretty interesting. If u want you could make up some cheesy star wars scenario to go along with it. Somethong to the effect of an abandoned weapons cache that both freqs are racing for and trying to return to their base.

I can probably make a tileset for a new map if u want.

If a new map is gonna be made, I think we need to go full out, and make it one of the best swz has had. We need to incorporate new ideas that other zones have been using for years, and try to give people a reason to play swz again.

<3 Slyth I'll be in touch to discuss tileset ideas with you. I agree we need to go ass out on this, it's been a while since I've had time to work on a map for the zone looking forward to it...

/JAD

i like the idea of planets and even ones that differ in size, that makes a ton of sense to me.

i would be willing to help out (though i won't make new bases) i got a ton of bases though that i can send to someone for them to pick and choose from.

also i think that for a center instead of having an box like we have had in the past, we should just make the center a planet within itself, but don't make it that big please, assuming we are going for more flagging (as we have been trying to) a center just doesn't help for that, all it really should be there for is to gather flags and to maybe when low pops are playing fly in there.

now the warp gate idea is great, we should almost make it so that you can't leave any of the "planets" without using a warp gate, i don't know how to make it so that you can warp back to the center planet though. the only problem with warp gates is that the nme can just defend the gate instead of the base as a primary defensive line. so if you all can figure out a way to stop this, great.

but instead of having it how it was in hyperspace zone, IE messaging the bot, just make certains spots within the map (IE warp spots) in the center planet, so that if you want to go to upper right planet you need to get to the warp gate that takes you there. this will be confusing at first, but i like zones that are like this now.

Quick*

Well to warp back to center just hit insert smile.gif But the idea of a completely enclosed center with warp gates in a really interesting idea! A few mini bases in that area in a thought...

On a side note I have always been opposed to this top secret/private chat/forum idea when it comes to zone devlopment. The more active the players on in deciding the direction of the zone they PLAY in only seems logical. Most people who know the prevoius maps I've been involved in I try to get input, base submissions and general input from vets to noob to the assholes of the zone (thats why pilot x had his name in the credits a few maps back smile.gif ) So I want this to be "open sourced" as much as we can without crossing over zone security issues (bots ship settings being off limits for obvious reasons). But I welcome and encourage base submissions, layouts, ideas etc.. from anyone and everyone.

I still need to know who has the final say in things at this point in time I assume its tcdr?

/JAD

But yeah we need a new map fo sho....planets or not, i think we should only do small bases. And yeah a smaller map.

yeah I think TCDR does.

To avoid freqs camping the warpgates we can make the size of spawn fairly large, and make the gate fairly open. that way a rep or two will get you free.

I think i still have a few old bases on my comp at home, and some old tileset/graphic ideas. I'll see what i can dig up.

yea i liked the mini bases, if we are going the route of an entirely closed off center, and the center being just another planet (or circle tongue.gif) then we can just add them onto the outer ring of the center circle.

but i say have the center planet then a larger one holding 2 or 3 bases on the bottom and then 3 or 4 smaller ones that hold either 1 or 2 bases. hell we got all the map to work with really, if we are doing the warp gates. the only problem i see with warp gates is if the warp gate isn't near the bases then aw will be rather hard to use, you will HAVE to have a antiier attacking as well.

Quick*

Hey JAD,

Its good to hear from you smile.gif

A map was being worked on by Clint01 but has since been shelved. There were some key ideas i had hoped would come from that development. I will list some of the design ideas at the end of this post.

I will be back in the driver's seat now as TCDR has just officially retired from his position. In fact i'm just about to post the news to news.txt as I write this.

Anyways, I should be free tomorrow (sunday aussie time) so i'll most likely be online for most of the day. Try and come online tmw if you can =)

Ok, here is some food for thought..

---

Map

- All bases must be 100% new.

i.e. not been used in previous maps before. i think we have recycled too many bases in our recent maps and it kind of defeats the purpose of creating a new map.

- Smaller, wider bases (than current map)

- Have base entrances facing center. Basically for easier access to them.

- Dont have too much playing area beyond the bases.

We dont want to have a situation where flags are run around the outside as we do now with our current map.

- Center area needs to have some objects to make things a bit more interesting. Plain open space is rather boring and work to alienate players who like to center kill. I find that even i like to just fly around and center kill sometimes, i'm sure alot of players feel the same. Its something i think we really should cater for.

- Open center safe. Covering center safe to prevent safe huggers hurts the game play more than it helps i feel.

Settings

- Privs 6-8 per team

- Flag timer to 180secs (3 mins)

- Spawning to center safe area

- Reduce mines on bombers from 3 to 2

- Reduce mines live time

- these two suggestions i had recieved were based on the idea of using mines as a short term defensive maneuver. the shorter mine time would allow for the defender to re-set their mine in a defensive position as they are being pushed back, it could also reduce the chances of tks.

Heya miew, agree 100% in regards to not using old bases (never liked that idea). Unless I am mistaken (or cont has been updated) Mine alive time and bomb alive time are 1 setting, so wouldn't reducing mine alive time screw up bomb lines? If not than no opinion on reducing mine time. If we are going to 24/7 privs I'll make sure the map reflects that. I'll try to get in zone when you are on, failing that I'll communicate things via ?messages.

PS: Slyth great work so far on the tiles they should work nicely. Have you seen them yet miew? If not they are in his arena.

/JAD

Talked briefly with miew in-game. He agreed that we should keep an open dialog with the zone regarding the new map so all comments/suggestions should be posted on this thread. Base submissions can be sent to my email jad1337@yahoo.com I will compose a map including submitted bases and give everyone a chance to view them. As always if you wish to contribute please realize several thing: 1) Your base may be altered/edited as we see fit. 2) If you have your feelings easily hurt don't bother submitting. 3) If you want to contribute to the zone and recieve credit for anything we use please don't hesitate to get a copy of ssme from subspacedownloads.com and get to work!

Guidelines for bases: We are looking for 100% origional bases, nothing copied and pasted from previous maps. These bases will have to fit inside planets so as your girlfriend may be nice about it we are not, SIZE DOES MATTER. Not too big but definatly not too small either wink.gif Imagine 10-20 other ships inside the base, do they have room to fight and move without feeling constricted? Wider more open bases than current map with 2-4 "choke points" leave some open space inside for some good ol' in-base dog fighting. DONT NOT BOTHER RETILING THE BASES. just use one solid tile for the walls and door tiles as needed no fly unders/overs. Everything will have to be retiled with the new tileset (still under construction). No doors near fr for obvious reasons (keep doors AT LEAST 50% from the fr). No animated tiles (wormholes, the gray spinny thing, asteriods, powerball tiles) Those will be inserted as needed and on a limited basis. Same goes for safe zone tiles. If you have a very creative idea for using a wormhole in a base it may be considered (think back to how it was used on the "droid" base).

To reiterate if you have any suggestions or ideas please post them here so we have all of our thoughts in the same place. It helps us stay organized and on the same track. With everone that is going to be involved it's the only way to keep everyone focused on the same goal thanks.

Everyone who wants to be involved is more than encouraged to do so for the greater good of the zone regardless of you vet/newbie status, squad affiliation, gender or sexual orenitation. Please don't hesitate to put in your 2 cents.

Happy mapping!

PS: please ignore any typos it's 3:45am here and too lazy to spell check.

PPS: Som: we are going 24/7 privs for this project.

/JAD

there is a map in ?go testing. I wanted to see it being tested in main a few months ago because i liked the concept of the bases. But staff didn't want to.

If it's not in ?go testing anymore, then it's in #senti for sure.

The reason i liked those bases was because they were wider and a bit smaller.

The bases are a bit too much warzone style probably, but if some1 can make a star warzone style base with the same concept, then it would be cool i think.

Is there any way to make a bot for privs, that can recognize that 2 freqs have 10 people and offer the hsp on each freq the chance to select a cap? maybe a reduced cap like before?

Rev

Being worked on but I do belive that if not they were planning on allowing mods to set caps.

/JAD

Anyone who hasnt had the chance, take a look at a map slyth and ray composed located in ?go testing post your comments here. My personal thoughts are it's exactly what the zone needs right now there are a few issues left to be addressed most of those being some tile work (they want to make some areas look nicer but the structure is soud so to speak). This blew me away in a short amount of time they they really came out with some nice ideas. A few new features may be available depending on how well the duel bot works out. As always we encourage everyone to take a look and post your input on this thread.

/JAD

QUOTE (Distributor of Pain @ Dec 17 2004, 06:15 PM)
Well, youre not gonna want to hear this, but I think the map is too big...

Well youre not gonna want to hear this, but not many people will take you serious...

The map is quite small and they did not waste any space. Although I appreciate the comment I disagree.

/JAD

Right now it has a centersafe (where you spawn in so it will completely kill the flagging)

It no longer has a swzl based theme which can help get new players get used to the chaosstyle of swzl.

It has more astroids around the bases now instead of the good walls that prevented people from running around the bases in order to lamedrop the flags.

And this all happent without a good reason from our might lord. GG

[edit]

Forgot to mention the new "lines" in center that prevent people from running from center towards the bases without being REALLY easy targets from the many centerkillers which this map with centersafe will temp attract.

Also forgot the mention the nice circle around the new centersafe which prevents people from flying safe outside the center without being lamekilled from the in/outside by (lemme guess) a maximum of 5 centerkillers while 12 (including the 3 bots$) speccers are being inactive.